Fihasa Investments Ltd: Senior Systems Administrator – Limassol
Senior Systems Administrator
Category: Information Technology (IT)
Responsible for the technical design, planning, implementation, and the high level performance tuning and recovery procedures for critical enterprise systems. Serves as a technical expert in the area of system administration and implementation of complex operating systems. Recommends the redesign and configuration of operating systems and system applications. Investigates and analyzes feasibility of system requirements and develops system specifications. Identifies methods, solutions, and provides management in order to provide a high level of service to the stakeholders of the department. Performs partial supervision of IT stuff from multiple locations.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the host computers by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance and repair. Ensures that records of system downtime and equipment inventory are properly maintained. Applies revisions to host system firmware and software. Works with vendors to assist support activities.
- Develops new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Trains technical staff in how to use new software and hardware developed and/or acquired.
- Performs troubleshooting as required. As such, leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations.
- Establishes, maintains and manages user’s accounts. Installs, modifies and maintains systems and utility software on server computer systems. Provides support related to other software.
- Establishes guidelines and methods for the installation and management of the host computer operating systems, disk arrays, fiber channel switches, tape libraries and other components.
- Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical host computer resources.
- Develops procedures, programs and documentation for backup and restoration of host operating systems and host-based applications.
- Develops and coordinates project directions and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on the customer organizations. Provides leadership in planning and implementation of projects for computer operations and enterprise systems administration.
Bachelor’s (BSc) or Master’s (MSc) degree in Computer Science or closely related discipline.
- Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis.
- Minimum three (3) years of work experience with complex operational systems, server infrastructure, internal networking and tech user support.
- commonly used operating systems:
- (advanced knowledge of Windows Server 2012 and Active Directory is essential);
- UNIX systems administration knowledge is an advantage;
- current equipment and technologies in use;
- essential networking and firewall configuration;
- enterprise backup and recovery procedures;
- system performance monitoring and load balancing tools;
- effective project management techniques;
- as an advantage, its good to be familiar with and/or know:
- vSphere, vMotion, NetApp
- CITRIX, HA Proxy
- SpiceWorks, Zabbix
- Synantec or SOPHOS protection suites
- plan, organize and document complex system design activities;
- configure systems to be consistent with institutional policies/procedures;
- communicate technical/complex information both verbally and in writing;
- establish and maintain cooperation, understanding, trust and credibility;
- perform multiple tasks concurrently and respond to emergency situations effectively.