IOM: Operations Assistant (Legal) Vacancy – Nicosia
Special Vacancy Notice CY2017-01
Open to Internal and External Candidates
|Position Title||:||Operations Assistant (Legal)|
|Duty Station||:||Nicosia, Cyprus|
|Classification||:||Grade G4 equivalent|
|Type of Appointment||:|| Special Short term, until 31st December 2017, with
possibility of extension
|Estimated Start Date||:||As soon as possible|
|Closing Date||:||28th August 2017|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office and the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator, and in the framework of the Assisted Voluntary Returns and Reintegration in Cyprus, as well as IOM Cyprus country office operations, the Operations Assistant (Legal) will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Responding to regular written and oral enquiries from potential clients and their representatives regarding voluntary
- Interview returnees, assist in completing application forms and assessing their return and reintegration needs
- Verifying that all cases correspond with the agreed voluntary return criteria, and submit to relevant authorisation for approval
- If required, assist returnees in obtaining valid documentation to facilitate their travel and re‑entry to country of origin
- Ensure all reintegration applications are sent to the appropriate IOM mission, and evaluate needs of returnees in liaison with IOM mission. Co-ordinate the reintegration assistance with IOM Missions in countries of origin and Social Workers (assessment of the needs upon return; co-ordination of the investigation and the tailoring of the re-integration programme with the Field Mission and the social workers).
- Arrange the return travel for returnee by the most direct & economical route to final destination, including the provision of transit assistance if necessary
- Liaise as necessary and keep IOM’s missions at the countries of transit and destination informed.
- Provide legal assistance and explains Migrants’ rights
- Maintain beneficiary files and provide regular statistical reports to the Programme Coordinator
- When requested, conduct reintegration monitoring and evaluation activities in countries of return
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Law or related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience, or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Minimum two years of operational experience in Refugee and Migration related issues
Fluency in Greek and English is required.
Any other IOM official language is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
A prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their Applications (CV and motivation/cover letter in English) to ROBrusselsRMHR@IOM.int quoting the above vacancy notice number.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 11.08.2017 to 28.08.2017